Friday 2 August 2013

Fabric Scrap Storage

Having recently moved into my new sewing room - just saying that still makes me smile! - everything is quite tidy.


But the way I store and organise my scraps needs some consideration and attention!

I haven't been sewing and quilting for long, just a couple of years and most of the quilts I have made so far have been using a line of fabrics by one designer.  There were a couple of Central Park by Kate Spain, a Picnic Fairgrounds by Denyse Schmidt, a Sherbet Pips by Aneela Hoey... And so all my scraps are stored in zip lok baggies by their fabric line, not by size or colour.


I have some scraps in a small pile, some flannel strips in a bag (that I won), and a small lidded plastic crate for selvedges.


And then I have the really small scraps in empty tennis ball tubes by colour.  These I'm saving up for a bottled rainbows quilt one day!


But what constitutes a scrap? How small is small enough to throw away? I am very frugal and seem to keep pretty much everything!  

I'd really love to hear how you organise and store your fabric scraps.  I found a linky party on the subject over at Val's Quilting Studio but it's just about to close, so I'll open a linky of my own and you can all share with me here! I'll leave it open for a week to give you some time to snap a few pics.
  
Alternatively if you are on Instagram and would like to join in there please tag me in your pictures @quiltycreations  #fabricscrapstorage

Looking forward to seeing your scrappy pics!
:o)

9 comments:

Liz said...

The tennis ball cans are a great idea! My scrap storage is just whereever it can fit in a pile!

joanold said...

My scraps, anything larger than one inch square,are all thrown into a bag once a quilt is finished. They badly need sorting so I'll be interested to see how others sort and store their scraps.

joanold said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I'm new to scrap storage and quilting too, but I know I want to make some bookshelf quilts and a postage stamp quilt. Both of those designs use fairly tiny scraps, so if the scrap is less than 2 inches and longer than 8 inches, it goes in a plastic shoebox where I'm collecting pieces for a bookshelf quilt. And, I know that I'll hate having to cut out postage stamp blocks all at one time, so instead, if a scrap is pretty small, I've started to cut it into 2x2 squares right away. I toss these into their own pile as well. All the bigger scraps just get tossed into one box, so I'm interested to know what other people do.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Blimey, you are so organised!!

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

I usually just organize by color and I don't separate scraps from stash. It's all in one cabinet!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Karen, Thanks for sharing your scrap storage at Val's Quilting Studio Sunday Organizing Linky Party.. (love the bottle idea!) Stop by today and link up to share how you store your fat quarters.

Val @ myplvl.blogspot.com

Jessica Hadden said...

Hey, my boys play tennis! I should rescue some ball cans! I store fabric bits everywhere- in cookie jars, large pots in the cupboard, and bins under my cutting table. I could definitely take a tidy page from you! :)

Paula said...

My scraps are anything but organised. When I'm working on a project I just dump scraps in a bag as I go, and then never seem to sort them much further.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...